Veterinary and vet tech externship opportunities at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
At Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah, you can get real-world experience and hands-on training working alongside some of the best medical professionals in the field. If you are studying to become a veterinarian or a veterinary technician, or you are seeking a career in shelter medicine, explore the possibility of completing your externship at the Sanctuary’s state-of-the-art veterinary clinic. The clinic provides care to a wide variety of Sanctuary animals and pets in the local community.
Fourth-year veterinary student externship
If you are a fourth-year veterinary student considering a career in shelter medicine, there is no better place than Best Friends to complete your externship. Under the guidance of Best Friends veterinarians, externs assist with the clinic’s daily operations, including:
- Participating in medical rounds
- Making diagnoses
- Offering treatment recommendations
- Conducting scheduled appointments
- Assisting in emergency situations
- Completing special projects, as assigned
- Performing spay/neuter surgeries and other surgical procedures (depending on prior surgical experience)
The standard length of the veterinary extern rotation is two weeks. Please let us know if your school has other requirements. Read the complete veterinary extern description.
Veterinary technician externship program
The vet tech externship program is open to individuals 18 and over who are currently enrolled in a certified veterinary technician program, have at least six months of experience working in a clinical setting and have an interest in shelter medicine.
The program gives externs hands-on experience with:
- Setting catheters
- Drawing blood
- Handling and restraining animals
- Cleaning surgical instruments
- Assembling surgical packs
- Assisting in surgery
- Performing medical treatments
- Helping with radiographs (if the student has taken a safety course)
You may be asked to:
- Perform general care of patients, such as feeding, walking and cleaning living areas
- Do laboratory work (e.g., fecals, urinalysis, preparing lab samples)
- Assist in cleaning the clinic at the end of the day
- Perform other duties, as assigned
The standard length of this externship rotation is four weeks. Please let us know if your school has other requirements. Read the complete veterinary technician extern description.
Extern scholarship opportunities
Thanks to some kind and generous Best Friends supporters, externship scholarships are available. An extern scholarship can help you with travel, lodging and general living expenses during the externship. If you’ve been accepted into the externship program, you are welcome to apply for a scholarship.
Best Friends also offers internships: Learn more.