Following Local Animal Ordinances and Etiquette (Kanab, Utah)
While we know those who visit Best Friends will do anything to rescue an animal, there are rules, mandated by the city and county, we need to follow in order to maintain a good working relationship with the town and the county. Well-intentioned visitors have picked up stray dogs and brought them to the sanctuary, thinking they were “rescuing” them. More often than not, these dogs do belong to someone. It’s not uncommon to see dogs wandering freely around town or riding unsecured in the back of pickup trucks, even flatbed trucks. This is fairly typical in rural America and takes some getting used to.
Stray and free-roaming dogs must be reported to animal control. Kanab has one animal control officer who works out of the Kanab City Police Department. Kane County does not have anyone who specifically does animal control however, they sometimes work will the Kanab ACO. Below are the steps you should take to stay within the mandated parameters and help Best Friends maintain friendly relations with the residents of Kane County.
(While cats may not be specifically mentioned in local “at large” ordinances, please do not pick up free roaming cats. Most are family pets who are given outdoor access.)
If you see a dog who seems to be running loose in Kanab:
1. Do not pick up the dog and bring him to the Sanctuary. If you do, you could be accused of stealing a family’s dog. Theft is illegal and will not be tolerated.
2. Instead, report the dog to animal control by calling police department dispatch at 435-644-2349. If you think that the dog is in imminent danger, you may offer to keep the dog at your residence until the owner can be found, but you must inform the police department of your intention. Make sure that you give clear contact information. Again, do not bring the dog to the sanctuary.
3. If you determine that the dog might have life-threatening injuries, report the situation to animal control, as well as the Best friends Clinic at 435-644-2001, ext. 210.
If you see a dog outside the city limits, but within Kane County:
1. Call dispatch at 435-644-2349 and report the location of the dog.
2. Do not pick up the dog. Do not bring the dog to the Sanctuary.
3. If you determine that the dog might have life-threatening injuries, report the situation to animal control, as well as the Best Friends Clinic.